We all have them, those songs that we should probably be too “something” for – too old, too cool, too un-cool, too non-conventional, too mainstream, too whatever..but despite it all, we still love them.
Or maybe we know a song is really bad: the lyrics are beyond awful, the singer had enough electronic assistance and back-up singers to start a dozen bands, the tune is obviously trying too hard to be catchy and you MUST resist…but somehow you…can’t…(imagine that last part in the voice of Cpt. Kirk).
Case in point: I just bought a song from itunes from a singer I really can’t stand…really. Lady GaGa is more Lady GagGag to me, and when that new Bad Romance song of hers comes on the radio I shriek like I’ve been bitten by a hyena and clutch at the stereo dial, praying I can get the damn song off before my head explodes from the awfulness. Yet, somehow, I find myself really liking another of her songs. Everytime Paparazzi comes on the radio, I find it still playing in my head hours later – and I like it. So I caved, and for just under $3, bought a series of 4 remixes of the song. There, I admitted it.
Which made me think of other songs I liked, but if anyone caught me singing it (or rocking out to it in the car, yikes), I wouldn’t deny it, but would feel I had to justify it somehow…or at least acknowledge that I should be embarrassed by my poor taste in music.
So here we go – my list of Top 10 Songs I Should Probably Be Ashamed To Admit I Like
10. As discussed above, Paparazzi by Lady GaGa
9. I am a mom to a 6 year old, which means I have accepted that Hannah Montana is going to be a part of my life. But I admit I really like some of her songs, especially Hoedown Throwdown
Somehow it goes against my principles to like songs from an American Idol winner, but sometimes they are just so darn catchy! So that reason alone, covers the following 3:
8. That Jordin Sparks song…One Step At a Time
7. Before He Cheats Double Whammy: an American Idol winner AND a country song!
6. Battlefield again by Jordin Sparks – I was kind of irritated by this song when I first heard it, (steal from Pat Benatar much?) but the more I hear it (and it’s rather hard to escape it) the more it grows on me…like a fungus.
5. 1,2,3,4 by Plain White Tees – Lil’ G really likes this song, and in a year or two, probably could have written the lyrics for it…but I have to say, I like it too.
4. Here I Go Again by Whitesnake Crazy women who go to court for beating their husbands doing naughty things to the hood of a car aside, there’s something about this song that just makes you want to belt it out at the top of your lungs.
3. Fallout Boy – I Don’t Care Really? Fallout Boy? I know, but I love to run to this song.
2. Taylor Swift – Love Story I suppose I shouldn’t be embarrassed, based on the number of awards this girl has won even Jesus buys her music, which kind of makes me wish I didn’t like it (the whole not wanting to like what everybody else likes).
1. Nickelback….So Far Away Ok, this one I am truly ashamed of…of all the bands out there, Nickelback is one of the biggest jokes – poser rock to the extreme, Google Dolls squared. But this one song, I like it… alot.
I am sure there are more…oh so many more…but those are the ones I could think of right away.
So embrace your bad taste and be proud: what songs do you love when you rather wish you didn’t?