I have so many favorite scenes across all six movies in the Star Wars saga (though I admit that most are from the films of my childhood: Episodes IV – V – VI).
Some moments from A New Hope include:
- The bit when Luke watches Leia’s message to Obi-Wan via R2-D2
- The garbage compactor scene: “Into the garbage chute, fly boy!”
- Luke & Leia’s infamous “Swing to Freedom” when she gives him a swift kiss, “For luck.”
- And the Mos Eisley cantina scene.
Why do I love this scene? Because it shows the calm, cool, collected, don’t F with me bad a**ness that is Han Solo. It also makes those little moments when we see a softer side of him all the more sweet. (And it does such a nice job establishing him as Luke’s foil – all my fellow Lit people know what I’m sayin’).Aside from that, the scene ends on such a great line…(who can quote it?)
Apparently, there has been some controversy over this scene, as in later editions, George Lucas modified it so Greedo fires his weapon first. Personally, I don’t care that Han shoots first, in fact – I prefer it. Like I said, when we first meet him he’s a smuggler, an unapologetic bad boy – a scoundrel. Greedo isn’t sitting down for a nice friendly chat over a beer…trying to make it seem like Han only acted in self-defense takes a bit of that tough guy persona away.
Moving on….favorite Scenes from Empire Strikes Back include:
- The almost-kiss between Leia and Han on Hoth.
- Yoda and R2-D2 squabbling like toddlers on Dagobah.
- The moment on Bespin when Leia tells Han she loves him (and his response? C’mon, you know the answer to this one!)
- And of course…one of the most famous moments in film history…when Luke learns just who his Daddy was.
A few favorites from Return of the Jedi:
So many great moments in this movie are a result of what could almost be called an inside joke…scenes that are re-worked bits from the first two movies such as:
- Luke & Leia once again swing to freedom together.
- Han tells Leia he loves her, she responds the way he did in Empire.
- Everyone has “a bad feeling about this” and “delusions of grandeur.”
Other memorable scenes include:
- When Luke learns Leia is his sister, and then tells her the truth out on the rope bridge in the Ewok village.
- When Threepio is worshiped as the God of the Ewoks, and Han isn’t too happy about being the main course in the new deity’s celebration meal.
- When Luke saves Vader from himself, and looks upon his father’s true face.
Any of these moments immortalized in Christmas ornament form would be on my “must-buy” list…so if someone over at Hallmark is paying attention…get going on that, ok?